Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A little more clarity

I still have not heard back from Larry, and this story definitely isn't over yet, but after speaking with Terry Shea and a few other people this morning, it has become clear to me that this decision was based entirely on players being unhappy.

"It had nothing to do with the record. I want to make that clear," Terry told me this morning.

All kinds of rumours are flying around, but I've heard one from a pretty solid source about action taken by a few discontented players. I will expand on that if and when I can get it confirmed.


This is the story running in The Clarion tomorrow.

Wintoneak gets the axe
Assistant Zinger named interim coach

The Kindersley Klippers’ board of directors dropped a bombshell on local fans and the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League on Sunday night.

Fifth-year head coach and director of hockey operations Larry Wintoneak was asked to resign and assistant Rockie Zinger was handed the interim tag for both roles.

The Klippers have not met expectations during the first half of the regular season, but team governor Terry Shea hinted that the board’s decision was related to discontent in the locker room.

“It had nothing to do with the record. I want to make that clear,” Shea said Tuesday.

Several players gave indications on Monday that all was not well in the Klipper room and that many were not having fun under Wintoneak and his old-school, sometimes abrasive style of coaching.

Asked if some players had tuned out their coach, forward D. Jay McGrath said some of his teammates weren’t enjoying the game anymore.

“I can see that. People quitting and people not having fun on the road trips. In general, people not having fun and not showing up to the rink with a smile on their face, people afraid to make a mistake.

“I respected him, I didn’t have anything against him, but some guys didn’t fit with him and didn’t like playing for him,” said McGrath, who added that some players would not accept Wintoneak’s “rules.”

Winger Braeden Adamyk said that while he had no issues with his coach, the situation had gone downhill.

“Maybe the respect level wasn’t there anymore,” he commented. “I think everybody was somewhat in shock because I don’t think anybody thought it would happen. A few guys had a little bit of relief on their faces (at practice Monday). Spirits are definitely up today.”

Forward Justin Gerwing was one of several who said they had heard rumblings of a change behind the bench, but he expected that assessment to wait until after Christmas, at least.

“I didn’t see it coming this quick. I heard talk about it, but I thought it wasn’t going to happen.”

Several players had left the team during this season, the latest being winger Tanner Exner in early December, and that was believed to be one of the board’s concerns.

Klippers president Rod Perkins declined to comment on the matter.

Wintoneak had signed a two-year contract extension over the off-season, and the team, already coming off a poor fiscal year, is now on the hook for the remaining year and a half on that deal.

“The financial thing was one of the issues ... but it was time for him to move on and seek other things,” said Shea. “As a board, we felt it was best for the club.”

Zinger, who now takes over the reins at age 29, said he always aspired to become a Junior A head coach, but never like this.

“I was blindsided,” said the Dodsland native. “You sign a coach to a two-year contract and I never would have thought in a million years that this would be.

“It’s been a roller coaster 24 hours for myself, and I imagine for the boys, and I can’t even begin to imagine what it’s been like for Larry.”

Wintoneak could not be reached for comment on Monday or on Tuesday morning.

The coach was cut loose shortly after the team’s Christmas party on Sunday and Zinger was taking in the Red Lions game later that night when he was offered the interim job for the rest of the season.

Zinger said he doesn’t believe Wintoneak lost control of his team.

“I don’t think that he lost the room. That’s his team in there. Those are guys that he recruited, he brought in.

“I think where it comes from is the expectations were so high right off the start of the year and whoever placed those expectations and developed those, it’s a little bit unfair. We’re one game above .500. We’re not in a bad situation.”

Adamyk said with the Klippers expected to do so well this year, some players got complacent.

“At the beginning of the year, we thought it would come too easy for us. Me and a lot of guys in that room thought you didn’t have to work. That’s not the case in this league,” he commented.

“I feel bad because we should have been a better team for him. It just sucks how things worked out.”

The new bench boss said he will put a priority on making the game enjoyable for the players.

“If they’re not having fun coming to the rink, you’re not going to get much out of them. Every one of them has my respect until they do something to lose it,” said Zinger. “I’m going to work them hard and try to push buttons and make them better hockey players and hopefully get the most out of them.

“All I know is it’s my job now to maximize the potential of the talent we have in that dressing room.”

He added that the team’s system and style of play will not change, but “maybe it’s just a little different tone and different delivery of that message to get through and be a fresh start for those guys.”

Zinger said his immediate focus is on getting through the team’s four games this week and then taking the Christmas break to reflect, assess his team and decide whether anything needs to be done before the Jan. 10 trade deadline.

“There was no preparation for this. It kind of caught me off guard and now you’re doing what you can to get through,” he commented.

McGrath said he and his teammates will play hard for their new coach and they believe in what he’s selling.

“Rockie’s a good guy, a good coach, good with the community. I’m comfortable around him because I’ve known him since I was a little kid.

“We’re all going to listen to him and we’ll respect him, and if we do that, we could go a long way this year.”

Despite the parting of the ways, many expressed their respect and appreciation for what Wintoneak did in his time in Kindersley.

“I do know what Larry Wintoneak did for this community and for this team,” said Zinger. “People might forget that when he came in here, there was a big mess to clean up. He did a fantastic job with that. His legacy that will be left here is something he can be proud of.”

Gerwing, who cracked the team ahead of several other rookies this season, added: “I respect him completely. He taught me a lot. I thought he was a good coach, but what can I say, it’s not my decision.”

“I consider him a friend of mine,” said Adamyk. “You never want to see a friend get fired or lose a job they care about and love, but I guess it is a business.”

1 comment:

  1. Who says "old school" is wrong? These kids nowadays have the upper hand everywhere they go, at schools, at home with their parents, at their jobs. Teaching kids respect, hard work, accountability....I can see why you would fire someone for that???? As for the fact they don't want rules, well then maybe they shouldn't be playing junior hockey and let the kids who are willing to play by the rules, show some respect and be accountable to at least one person - their coach. Good luck finding someone more dedicated and hard working than Larry. He deserves better if that's the way he's going to be treated anyway. Good Luck Larry. There are a lot of organizations and communities that will appreciate your fine qualities.

    ReplyDelete