Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Klipper captain chooses Lake Superior State

From Wednesday's Clarion:

He weighed the pros and cons for nearly a year, and now Andrew Dommett has made his choice.

The Klippers’ captain announced Monday that he has committed to Lake Superior State University for the next step in his career.

LSSU and Ferris State, both in Michigan, had been vying for his services since his breakout performance at the SJHL Showcase last season in North Battleford.

Dommett, 20, flew down to see both campuses over the summer and eventually based his decision on his comfort level.

“What it boiled down to is where I felt comfortable,” said the Major native.

“I talked to my mom and dad about it. They can’t make the decision for me, but they want me to be comfortable and go somewhere for four years where I’m not going to be homesick.”

He said two of the biggest selling points for Lake State, as it is known, were the small town feel of Sault Ste. Marie, Mich., and his dealings with head coach Jim Roque.

“It’s a small town just like Kindersley, I thought it would be an easy transfer from a small town like Major,” he said.

“And their coach, I really liked him. He has a great knowledge of the game and he’s a great person ... the whole organization won me over, from the coaching to the school to the facility, everything was just great.”

Dommett also spoke to several former LSSU players, including ex-Klipper star Troy Schwab and 2009-10 assistant coach Trevor Weisgerber.

He said Schwab talked to him honestly about his experience and pointed out the flaws of each school, rather than persuading him to go to his own alma mater.

“I have to give him credit for putting in the time with me,” said Dommett.

He added that Weisgerber helped him out with the paperwork and making sure he got what he wanted out of the scholarship.

He said several other schools had some interest, including a few Division 3 colleges, but it was always between Lake State and Ferris State.

“It’s the biggest decision of my life so far, so hopefully I don’t regret it,” said Dommett.
“The offer Lake State gave me was incredible. I’d be kind of dumb not to take it.”

Roque told Dommett he will be given a chance to fill the shoes of Will Acton, the team’s top left winger, who is not returning next year. The coach told him they were very similar players.

“Jim’s such an honest guy. He told me straight up, with the amount of money they’re putting into me to come down, they don’t want me sitting in the stands.”

Despite scoring six goals in two games at last year’s showcase, Dommett urged other players not to put any more effort into that weekend than their other games.

“That’s one thing people get wrong. They try extra hard at the showcase. Schools are going to come watch you no matter what. They’re going to come on those Wednesday nights because they want to see how you play then.”

No comments:

Post a Comment